Musings for the New Year

I tend to eschew New Year's resolutions...in fact I honestly cannot recall ever making any. Perhaps it's my bent towards pragmatism. Or it could be the realization that very little of my life is actually within my control; therefore it seems pretentious to make resolutions.

The thing I appreciate about the tradition of making resolutions is that it is a uniquely human demonstration of hope. Hope that things can change for the better. We intuitively know that hope is essential. 

While I shy away from "resolutions", I can relate to goals. They can help guide decisions, sacrifices, and are milestones for progress.  If a goal is not achieved by the end of the year, value can be ascribed from the effort. Semantics? Maybe.

That said, I have come up with a few goals for the coming year:

  • Add at least 1 native fish to my species caught
  • Add at least 2 new rivers fished
  • Keep my fly box fully stocked with flies from my own vise
  • Submit articles for publication to 2 national magazines or ezines
  • Arrow a mature buck 
  • Learn to spey cast
  • See Yellowstone or Yosemite
  • Serve on my local Trout Unlimited board of directors with distinction ( I am the acting president of the Guadalupe River chapter) 
  • Learn how to use Photo Shop
  • Get my "followers" numbers above 25
  • Celebrate another anniversary with my bride  
Stay tuned gentle reader for...the rest of the story (with apologies to Paul Harvey)

    Comments

    Hope that you make your goals for this year and glad to see that you have a few crossed off!

    Popular Posts