The Cost vs The Worth

I attended the high school graduation of my youngest stepson last night. One of the speakers mentioned that the diploma they were about to receive cost the school district about $2.20. He went on to say that one of the life lessons to be learned was that there is a difference between what something costs, and its value. The cost to print the diploma was small, but it had great significance.

But in the case of our Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines who have given "the last full measure of devotion", the cost was great. I pray that the value of what they died for will continue to be worth than their sacrifices and those of their families.

I pray that we as citizens of the United States will be found worthy of the our title. May we never forget that our freedom was purchased by blood of patriots, past and present.

I with that it were a requirement of every citizen to gaze upon Arlington National Cemetery - to read the names and wonder about the lives, hopes and dreams of the men and women resting there.

I took my daughters to this former plantation of Robert E. Lee two months before September 11th. We watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. We walked the fields. I stopped at one point and pointed to row upon rows of crosses and told them "this, girls is what your freedom costs...but you must decide what it is worth."


As must you.





Comments

Popular Posts