DISPATCHES FROM EL ESCONDIDO, VOL 5 Thursday

 The the 4th Saturday of each September is designated "National Public Lands Day". 
I
I am a resident of the state of Texas . I am immensely proud of my state, but 95% of the land in Texas is privately held. I am not stating that this is good or bad, but it does mean that Texans who want to experience public lands often have to travel. 

As I write this, I am sitting in Mineral County, Colorado. Interestingly 95% of the land in this county is public land - the inverse of Texas . Southern Coloradans can attest to the large number of Texas license plates regularly seen here.  Public lands are a major reason. 

The liberty to access public lands here is staggering. The number of trails, campgrounds, streams, and hunting opportunities open to all is almost an embarrassment of riches, and often taken for granted. 

When I was in Tanzania a number of years ago, I was able to visit Mikumi National Park for a photo safari. I presumed that Africa was, except for the cities, teeming with wildlife. If fact, we were told if not for the national parks, many species would already be extirpated. The cost for entry makes visiting the park out of reach for most Tanzanians - they are not the target market. Foreigners are. 

Compare that to the public lands just here in Mineral county where all that is required to access most areas is transportation to get to your destination. 

I am currently reading through Terry Tempest Williams book "The Hour of Land - A Personal Topography of America's National Parks".   Ms. Williams takes a look at twelve of our national parks, "delving into what is means to shape a landscape with its own evolutionary history into something of our own making". She attempts to tell the whole history, including those who were pushed off the land as it became "public".  I enjoy her writing style, and I am learning much about the parks. 

Another resource I highly recommend on the history of the parks and the park system is the Ken Burns documentary "The National Parks, America's Best Idea"  This is a 12 hour, 6 part series that is superbly done, in typical Burns style. Coincidentally, Terry Tempest Williams is one of the featured writers who lends her voice to the work. 

Today I took advantage of an opportunity in the Rio Grande National Forest. Snow seemed to keep everyone else away. Maybe they were smarter than me, since huge clumps of snow were continuously falling around me, sounding like far off mortar shells. Many broken limbs littered the ground, and a few new downed trees now span the creek. It took a little more effort than usual, but I had the creek entirely to myself - I never saw another soul.  Fortunately the fish were being sociable. 

You know you have had a good day fishing when you have to take rest breaks over supper. 

Comments

Popular Posts