Live and Love...

Gentle readers, the recent death of my former brother in law has given me pause. I suppose this is as it should be; death is certainly a reason to evaluate life and the choices we are making as we live.

I find unfortunately that many times my life is on auto-pilot. Busy with the things that need to be done as a father, step-father, grandfather, spouse, employee, minister...you get the picture. I suspect your own life has a similar tilt...at least that would put me in good company.

So much time spent in life that is without intent...just rolling along. Words of a song come to mind...

"With life , you never know,
When you're comin' up to the end of the road;
So what do we do then;
With tragedy around the bend?
We live, We love;
We forgive, and never give up
'Cause the days we are given are a gift from above;
So today we remember to live and to love"
- Superchick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCxZvD_wZ6I
(sorry, they had the embed disabled on the video...but take a listen....)

Tight Lines...

Comments

Drew said…
I find these sorts of ruminations to be especially poignant when the person who is no longer with us is so young - thoughts immediately go to all the things never done, never experienced, and how much time we have to miss them. When someone dies in their 80s or 90s, we always take comfort in the fact that they lived a full life and that their passing was a reward for all the hard work that they had done on this earth. When it's someone young, though, it's hard to entertain those thoughts.

No matter how old we are when we pass on, we leave a legacy behind us - few rarely die without leaving people behind that miss them, and often times there are far more people than we would have thought. Living the life set forth in the lyrics that you posted is the key to that because when we love those around us with abandon, as if each day is our last, then that becomes our legacy. But not a legacy in a prideful manner; rather a legacy of expanding the kingdom of Christ because we did what He did and we allowed Him to show Himself to others through our love.

That's one thing I learned from my mother's passing a year and a half ago. There were just so many people that had been impacted by her, simply because she began to realize this fact as her body began to deteriorate. She would be the first to say that it is a pity that it took her that long to realize it, and it is opportunities like this one that remind us that now is the time to live and love with reckless abandon.

Sobering thoughts, and heavy hearts...but a miraculous, life-changing message underneath.
Steph said…
Mark, I was hurting for you when I saw you Sunday and I saw how heavy your heart was. I believe you're one of the few people in my life who takes good advantage of the time we're given here. You've always made sure I know you love me and I thank you for that. I hope you can gain some comfort knowing that your life means so much to those around you and the legacy you're building will honor Christ. Guess what I'm trying to say is I see you living and loving.

And living and loving.

And living and loving.
Mark said…
Steph, you humble me. Thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot.
And you are right...I do love you...and Gracie...and Brad
Mark said…
Drew...well said as always my brother. Thanks for stopping in.
Pinky said…
Thanks for sharing that song.
I needed it in a big way.
:0)
Mark said…
Pinky, isn't it interesting how God puts a song before you with words that speak to you from his heart when you need it most?

Popular Posts