My Christmas Wish List


My pals over at The Outdoor Blogger Network suggested that we should come up with our ultimate outdoor Christmas wish list...so here is my attempt.


I know it runs counter to culture and expectations, but as I have grown older, my desire to receive Christmas gifts has diminished. In part because I have to find someplace to store them all, and if they are related to my outdoor pursuits, I am a bit hard to buy for because I tend to go out any buy exactly what I want. need. Telling a loved one exactly what I want for my outdoor passions tends to take some of the fun out of it for both parties in that there is little room for surprise (Oh my, a Ross reel? How did you know?), and usually my tastes are a bit more expensive than what I would be comfortable asking someone else to spend on me for a gift. There are however a few exceptions.

Of course there is that whole "it is better to give than receive" thing, which as a 12 year old sounds ludicrous. But to a parent or a spouse, it makes all the sense in the world. There is nothing quite like the joy of giving to someone you love. Since it has been several years  decades since I was 12, you understand the camp I now fall into.

However, I do have a few things I can share.

1. I have asked my family this year to contribute to World Vision in my name. World Vision is a Christian organization working to provide food, clean water, educational materials and other needs to children around the world. With a small  gift we can prevent a child from going to bed hungry.

2. Eastern Rises...I have been waiting for this film since the Fly Fishing Film Tour was in Austin last spring. It finally is out, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Santa...I practiced catch and release all year!

3. Tervis Tumblers These things are awesome, and come with real tied flies

4. Trail Cameras - 3 or four would be nice, to find out where the game is on my lease

5. Pop Up Blind - For those days when a tree stand isn't practical

6. A trip to the Keys for a salt slam (Tarpon, Permit, Bonefish)

7. My own hunting ranch (hey, I can dream can't I?)

8. When not at the ranch, I would like a cabin in Colorado...this one is on the market and we stayed in it a couple summers ago...owned by a friend of a friend. Near the headwaters of the Rio Grande, a gold medal trout stream there

9.A pack in archery hunt for Elk in New Mexico

10. African Safari - this is a 2 for one...a Christmas present that also is on my bucket list!

Those things said, my life is extremely blessed. I have a beautiful and loving wife, three grown kids who I am very proud of, two great stepsons, and a granddaughter that has me wrapped around her finger. I live in the greatest country in the world which allows me to pursue my outdoor passions. I have incredible friends who live life in very real and transparent ways with me and help me in my walk with Christ. I am healthy and have food on the table. And I already am a recipient of the greatest Christmas gift of all, the gift of forgiveness of all of my mistakes and the promise of eternal life by the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus. Who could really ask for more?

Comments

Popular Posts