Transitions

If I were to write a book about the last twelve months of my life, transition would be the theme.

In the fall we lost our beloved yellow lab Trey. A few months after,  my two stepsons moved out, marking the first time in over 30 years that children have not been under our roof. We adopted a new chocolate lab puppy, Tara.  Professionally I have experienced a flurry of change, beginning with Dell moving into the private sector, followed by reorganizations, concerns about job security,  and two major role changes.

My Trout Unlimited life has also experienced transition. Yesterday marked the end of my final term as chapter president for the Guadalupe River chapter of Trout Unlimited after five years in that position.

Being a sentimental sort, I experienced some sadness as I prepared for my last chapter and board meeting as resident, realizing what a significant part of my life this role had become.

My association with GRTU will continue, but my responsibilities will change. I will remain on the board of director as ex-officio for the length of my successor's term(s), primarily in a mentoring capacity. I will also now be able to better contribute at the national level, focusing more time and energy to my responsibilities as the Texas state council chair.

There have been challenges and frustrations, accomplishments and disappointments. It has been quite a ride, but one that I am glad I saddled up for. I have been able to meet some absolutely amazing people in this role, many of whom have become friends, all across the country. I am much richer for the experience, and extremely thankful for the opportunity to serve in this capacity.

Like those who have come before me, I will continue to contribute and volunteer to help the chapter on to the next level. It will take some time to adjust, but I think both the chapter and I will be just fine. I think some long overdue fishing is just what the doctor ordered for this transition.

Guad cliffs May 13

Comments

Tammy said…
GRTU is all the better as well for having you serve for them for those 5 years and what you will continue to offer them in the upcoming years as well.

Popular Posts