1%



The term “1 percenter” first came into our national lexicon in 1947, when the American Motorcycle Association stated that 99% of motorcycle riders are law-abiding citizens. The remaining 1% were outlaws, pursued by law enforcement.

Recently I experienced a pursuit announced with red and blue flashing lights in my rear view mirror. Exasperation was followed by a request for my driver's license and proof of insurance. Pretty sure I heard a simultaneous sucking sound from my wallet. Maybe you can relate.

I try to avoid those kinds of pursuits by obeying the law. But sometimes, even in spite of best intentions, I break the law. Sometimes I get away with it. Sometimes I don't. Then justice comes into play with fines, penalties, and inconvenience. Pursuit by an agent of justice can produce guilt, shame, and regret.

But there is another type of pursuit.  One that brings healing, affirmation, security, and joy. Pursuit by a loved one can be the catalyst for the some of the best emotions and experiences we can enjoy. An invitation to know and be known - one of the deepest longings of humanity.

Jesus told the following story:  “Suppose one of you had a hundred sheep and lost one. Wouldn’t you leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the lost one until you found it? When found, you can be sure you would put it across your shoulders, rejoicing, and when you got home call in your friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Celebrate with me! I’ve found my lost sheep!’ Count on it—there’s more joy in heaven over one sinner’s rescued life than over ninety-nine good people in no need of rescue."

Did you catch that? Jesus came to pursue one out of one hundred...the one percenters. The outlaws. The misfits. The broken. You and me.

His pursuit of us is based on love, not law. His goal is restoration, not retribution. One percenter. Two thousand years before it came to denote outlaw bikers, Jesus used it to denote us, his wandering sheep. Amazing.

Comments

Jim Clarke said…
Great, Mark. It blessed me and I'm going to use it Sunday.

Jim
mdillow61@gmail.com said…
Cool!

Popular Posts