Going Native

"When I hear of the destruction of a species, I feel just as if all the works of some great writer have perished."  - Theodore Roosevelt


Several years ago, the trifecta of my involvement with Trout Unlimited, a friendship with a young fly shop owner, and access to a cabin in southwest Colorado conspired to initiate me into the cult of native fish.

In my fly fishing infancy,  "trout" was a generic term. Rainbows and browns were the only species available in southern tailwaters near me. Frankly I didn't know there were other species of trout, and I was so consumed with learning how to catch those I did know about, thoughts about pursuing other species didn't cross my mind.

I was uninitiated regarding native species and their intrinsic value. It never occurred to me that "my" trout were stocked immigrants; one from the Pacific northwest, the other from Europe. I just knew they were here, and I could fish for them.

[caption id="attachment_1153" align="aligncenter" width="2048"] California native McCloud Redband Rainbow Trout[/caption]

Eventually through exposure to the passion and advocacy of others, I too caught the native fish bug. I learned how much humans changed the natural landscape  to the detriment of native trout in places like the Driftless area of the midwest, the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado, Yellowstone National Park, and even the Guadalupe Mountains of west Texas, just to name a few.

I began reading books by scientists including Robert Behnke and Pat Trotter , and  others by fly fishers who chronicled their quests to catch native salmonids.

I read "A Totally Synthetic Fish" , the story of how Rainbow Trout were stocked around the world (usually displacing native species) , and how science is often pushed aside for politics and paybacks.

Then there were the  videos. A couple worth noting: "Unspoken" from friends Nate Brown and Chris Johnson  highlighting Rio Grande Cutthroats and "The Return"  by TU volunteer leader Dave Sweet, which tells the story of the restoration efforts in Yellowstone National Park on behalf of Yellowstone Cutthroats.

[caption id="attachment_1146" align="aligncenter" width="4032"] Yellowstone Cutthroat[/caption]

Recently I participated in a Trout Unlimited National Leadership Council call. CEO Chris Wood told us that almost all of the native trout species in the lower 48 have been listed or have been proposed for listing at some point under the Endangered Species Act. That is astounding. And alarming.

The main catalyst for my interest and involvement with natives was my introduction to Rio Grande Cutthroats in Colorado. These fish have lost 90% of their historical range "over the last 150 years due to many landscape changes, including drought, water infrastructure, habitat changes, hybridization with rainbow trout and other species of cutthroat trout, and competition from brown trout and brook trout" (credit, WNTI website). As a result of these changes, Rio Grande cutthroat trout populations are restricted primarily to headwater streams. Fishing these often brush-choked streams requires a short fiberglass rod and good hiking boots. Those first small gaudy fish jumped me into the cutty gang. If God created a more beautiful fish, I haven't yet seen it.

[caption id="attachment_1150" align="aligncenter" width="4000"] Rio Grande Cutthroat[/caption]



I have become increasingly enamored with my personal sense of place, where I belong and call home. A place I can grow and grow old in. A place that I can improve, as it improves me. A place that just fits. Our native species deserve their places as well. Whether your faith is in Darwin or Genesis, we can agree on this. Whether created or evolved, these species are built for, and thrive in, their place. When we lose a native species, we lose a part of ourselves. We may not perish as a direct result of a single species extirpation, but our existence becomes poorer by the loss.

Would you join me to protect these special fish and the places they live?

Below are two organization I am familiar with accomplishing great things in this arena. I hope you will investigate them out and join in the effort to protect native trout.

Trout Unlimited

Western Native Trout Initiative

 

 

Comments

Jimbo Roberts said…
I'm with you 104%. We need to restore healthy reproducing populations of Cutthroat Trout to their native ranges as much as possible. I wish there was a law that would stop the stocking Rainbows and Brookies anywhere in the Rockies where historical Native Cutthroat populations have existed. And concentrate on restoring those waters, their flows, and bringing back the Cutthroat that belong there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mdillow61@gmail.com said…
Preach!

Popular Posts