Unmerited Favor

I suffer from an embarrassment of riches.

A combination of responsibilities, dreams, and the goodwill of others have filled my fishing cornucopia to overflowing.

Spring took me to Tennessee on family business and I stole a day to fish the Smoky Mountain National Park. I was able to share the water with a friend I have known online for years, but met face to face for the first time on this trip. The wonders of social media.



In late summer I was able to tick the box on a bucket list trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. It was all I had dreamed of, and much more. Sharing that trip with my bride was a true blessing.

In the fall I attended the Trout Unlimited annual meeting in Rogers, Arkansas. The people and natural beauty of this state makes it a favorite destination. You may have to endure them "calling the hogs" during football season, but such can easily be overlooked because they have such huge hearts.

The annual meetings feature a hosted fishing day. These outings allow foreigners from Texas (and other states) to fish local waters, hosted by a local TU chapter member.

This year we hit the jackpot, thanks to the wisdom of friend John Sturgis who coordinated the day. We Texians were matched up with David Knowles, retired professor and inventor of the Y2K fly. He was an absolute joy to spend time with. Every fish I caught was on a fly he tied.



November is well upon us, which in many parts of the country means an end to the fishing season. However  Texas is blessed with year round opportunities for piscatorial pursuits.

A few hours drive southeast from Austin is Port Aranasas (Port A in the vernacular); a favorite Texas fishing mecca. Port A  was ravaged by hurricane Harvey (a cat 4 storm) in August 2017 which also hit Houston hard. You may not have heard much about the damage in Port A, as it is a relatively small island town of around 4,100, compared to the 2.5 million who call Houston home.

A friend had been asking me to come down to fish with him, and finally the stars aligned. It's a shame that it took me this long to get down there. I only caught one redfish but had an absolute blast being poled quietly through the flats. In fairness I did warn him that I am like a stray cat. Once fed, I would return again and again. Salt water can get into your blood.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger cornucopia.



 

Comments

Popular Posts