The Crucible

 

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough
 - REM 




2020 has been a tough year, especially for people of faith. But aren't we all people of faith?

Some entrust their faith to organized religion. Some in a political party, movement or candidate. Perhaps you have placed your faith in a person or in nature. Maybe science or intellect holds your faith. But we all place our faith in something or someone. 

Sometimes a friend will confide that they have lost their faith. I would submit they are really saying is that what or whom they placed their faith in proved unworthy after a trying event or season. If you have ever experienced betrayal you know this all too well. 
 
Rather than a loss of faith, the process is actually a refining of faith. Life is a series of refining fires which can burn away the dross of our beliefs.

Most of us don't do the hard work of faith in the good times. It takes hard times to compel us to ask hard questions. Times of sickness, loss, and betrayal. Times when prayers seem to go unheard and unheeded.  Seasons when waiting for change evokes Sisyphus pushing a boulder up a mountain whose peak is never in view.  

But I am learning to take heart. While difficulty and disappointment meet us in our journey, it is part of a process that leads to maturity. 
 
Consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. - James 1:2
 
The serenity prayer reminds us in part;

"Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it. "

I am still working on the pure joy part, but I am glad to know there is a purpose in the chaos. 

I send this out to you with prayers for you on your journey of faith as we walk each other home.

 

Comments

Popular Posts